Friday, February 3, 2017

Week 4 EDU 642 Video Post

Welcome to my blogpost for week 4. 

In this week's blog I review a video clip from the television show The Office in teaching some basic economic principles and also my first screencast.


  • Lesson Outline: Using content related video clips to help teach economic concepts to my high school students, and an instructional video on how to join our stock market simulator.


  • Learning Objective: I can analyze real life applications of supply and demand in video clips from The Office by comparing them to what I already know. I can use the instructional video to join our classroom stock market simulator. I can create a presentation that teaches or demonstrates economic concepts with video clips from popular tv shows and movies. 

  • How will you incorporate creativity into your teaching, creation of multimedia materials, and student creation of artifacts? I will use video clips from the television show The Office to help my students make real life connections to economic concepts like supply, demand, and prices. Using clips can motivate or engage students and then they can apply what they know by creating a project or presentation that shows other examples of economics in action, from other places they have seen it before.

  • What factors could influence (or not) the success of your implementation? What considerations may be needed? Technological failure. Always have a low tech plan b as a back up in case the technology you plan on using in your lesson is down.
Application:
  • How do the readings from week 1 on design principles for instructional multimedia align:
With your lesson idea? Using multimedia like video clips to teach content and encouraging student centered learning.

  • With the digital image technologies in general? The Mayer article from week 1 suggested that when multimedia was used in instruction learning was enriched and students performed better on assessments.

  • Which principles did you intentionally use when designing your lesson idea? General best practices like modeling and then release into a student centered lesson, clear directions and objectives, and a creative lesson that engages all ability levels and supports a variety of learning styles. My students are juniors and seniors ranging from 16-18 years old. Using video to show how a concept like supply or demand works in real life will likely result in more student engagement.

  • How do you feel that this is supporting creativity in the classroom? This lesson is relatable to them, communicates content in conversational language, and places them in charge of their own learning. 

Reflection:
  • How has your thinking changed this week about technology use? About creativity? I learned that my lesson planning closely aligns with the best practices described in the week one readings as well as with the 10 instructional design techniques.

  • What information, facts, processes, or technology stood out in your mind? I  am blessed to have all of the technology and equipment I do in my classroom, and that I am reliant upon technology in my lesson planning because of adaptable it makes lesson planning and how accessible it makes learning for all of my students, and how easy technology makes communicating my lesson (displaying an itinerary for my lesson with the objective with a projector). 

  • Were there tensions that you noticed between the content and design principles for multimedia or between two principles that you used? No tensions, I actually believe multimedia tools make for highly adaptable and flexible lesson planning.

  • What did you enjoy, or not? How did you grow? I enjoyed reviewing the economics video I have included with this post and grew by recording my first instructional video (screencast).


  • Your artifacts:

Evaluation 

Video Clip Title: Garage Sale

Audience: High School Economics Class

Purpose: To help teach Supply, Demand, Value, Utility, and Barter.


  • Context: 

I am a high school social studies teacher. This semester I am teaching economics to a junior dominated classroom. My students comprised of juniors and seniors range from 16-18 years old and using video to relate an economic concept to them and make a connection to their lives is key to helping them make the relevant connections they need to “get it”. When they see and hear a potentially foreign economic concept like bartering, demand, or utility played out in a video and spoken to them in a language or mode they understand, there is a higher likelihood of true learning and understanding. My school district and more specifically my high school allows us to use materials in the classroom as long as they are appropriate for network tv. However, if there is a controversial or violent clip of a show or segment of a movie I want to include, I run it by my building administration team along with the purpose, and it is generally approved with the use of a reverse permission slip- a letter to notify parents of what we will watch and when to provide a way to opt out. The slip works this way, if they approve of their child participating in the activity, they don’t need to do anything and if they object, simply respond back to me prior to the date we are doing the activity and an alternative assignment will be provided. The clip would be used to teach an economic concept in an engaging and interactive way.


  • Video Evaulation: 

Garage Sale is a great digital resource to use in teaching all three of these economic concepts; consumer demand, value and usefulness, and bartering. This video in my opinion meets eight or nine of the 10 factors or design principles for multimedia evaluation. It is appropriate, enhances learning in both an easy to understand and entertaining format. The video clip works well as a whole group activity in the classroom (like a warm up), is safe for an educational fair use situation, in fact this clip among several others are frequently used by Kansas State University faculty members to teach economics, providing credibility to our claim. Here is a link to their website. http://economicsoftheoffice.com/



  • Instructional video on how to join Wall Street Survivor Stock Market Simulator



The instructional purpose of this video is to help high school students better understand how the stock market functions in buying and selling stocks. The simulator also helps them see how supply and demand function in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment